Filipino Ampalaya Con Carne
|Beef sirloin||1⁄2 Pound, sliced into thin strips|
|Bitter gourd||1 Large, cleaned, sliced (Ampalaya)|
|Soy sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sesame oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Medium, thinly sliced lengthwise|
|Ginger||1 Inch, julienned|
|Garlic cloves||6 Medium, minced|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As Needed)|
|Cooking oil||5 Tablespoon|
1. Combine beef, soy sauce, salt, ground black pepper, cornstarch, and sesame oil. Mix all the ingredients until evenly distributed and marinade for at least 1 hour.
2. Heat a frying pan or wok and pour-in 3 tablespoons of cooking oil.
3. When the oil is hot enough, pan fry the marinated beef in medium heat until the outer part turns medium to dark brown (about 3 to 5 minutes per side).
4. Add water and simmer until the beef is tender.
5. Heat a separate pan or cooking pot then pour in the remaining 2 tablespoons of cooking oil.
6. When the oil is hot enough, sauté the garlic, onion, and ginger.
7. Add the sliced bitter gourd and stir fry for 5 minutes.
8. Turn off the heat and transfer to the pan with the tender beef. Stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more.
9. Transfer to a serving plate then serve.
10. Share and enjoy!
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1585 Calories from Fat 1067
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 120 g184.9%
Saturated Fat 24.6 g122.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 106.6 mg35.5%
Sodium 7829.2 mg326.2%
Total Carbohydrates 70 g23.5%
Dietary Fiber 20 g80%
Sugars 11.2 g
Protein 63 g126.1%
Vitamin A 47.9% Vitamin C 745.9%
Calcium 27.2% Iron 53.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet