Simple Roast Chicken
|Whole chicken||1 Large, cleaned, skin retained|
|Sweet chilli sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Yellow mustard||1 Tablespoon|
|Barbecue sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Oil||2 Tablespoon, divided|
|Dried basil leaves||2 Teaspoon, divided|
|Lime leaves||2 Pinch, dried, crushed|
|Black pepper||1 Pinch|
|Lemon grass stalk||2 , broken to small pieces|
|Ginger root||1 , sliced (Thai Ginger)|
1. In a bowl, add sweet chili sauce, lemon juice, mustard, BBQ sauce, 1 tablespoon oil, salt to taste, 1 teaspoon basil and 1 large pinch of crushed lime leaves. Mix it well till combined. Set aside.
2. In another bowl add 1 tablespoon oil, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon basil, 1 large pinch of lime leaves and black pepper. Mix well till it forms a paste.
3. Clean the chicken and place it in a bowl. Rub the oil-basil paste well under the skin, inside the cavity and all over the chicken.
4. Coat the chicken well with the sweet chili sauce - mustard mixture all over, inside the cavity and under the skin.
5. Using a knife make slits in the flesh of the chicken. Leave it to marinate slit side down in the bowl for a minimum of 3 hours (Best overnight).
6. Preheat the oven to the required temperature.
7. In a baking dish or bowl, transfer the marinated chicken skin side down (thighs facing upwards). Pour the rendered marinade all over the chicken.
8. Place the lemon grass and Thai ginger pieces in the cavity and place it in the oven till done (For every 1Kg chicken, it takes around 1 hour to cook).
9. Remove from the oven and let it sit for a few minutes before serving.
10. In a serving platter, serve the roast chicken hot with rice or bread or with salad.