Choco Strawberry Baked Alaska
|Chocolate ice cream||1 Quart|
|Strawberry ice cream/Pound cake / sponge cake / ladyfingers||1 Quart|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Line a chilled 2-quart melon mold with chocolate ice cream. Pack firmly against sides of mold. Fill center of mold with strawberry ice cream, packing firmly. Freeze until firm.
2. Cut a layer of cake about 1/4 inch larger than mold and about 1 1/4 inches thick. Place on a wooden board or on a baking sheet lined with 2 sheets of heavy paper; set aside.
3. Beat egg whites with vanilla extract and salt until frothy; gradually add sugar, beating constantly until stiff peaks are formed.
4. Unmold ice cream onto center of cake. Working quickly, completely cover ice cream and cake with meringue, spreading evenly and being careful to completely seal bottom edge. With spatula, quickly swirl meringue into an attractive design and, if desired, garnish with maraschino cherries.
5. Set in a 450 F oven 4 to 5 minutes, or until meringue is lightly browned. Quickly slide onto a chilled serving place, slice and serve immediately. (If not ready to serve immediately, place baked Alaska in freezer so ice cream does not melt.)