1. Split the chicken in half and place it flat on a chopping board, skin side up and poke it randomly with a fork.
2. In a small bowl, add soy sauce with sesame oil for glaze, add honey if using mix well and set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
4. Place the chicken in a large pot, skin side up and add ginger slices, star anise, soy sauce, salt and water. Check that the water covers the chicken, add more if needed.
5. Set the pot on high heat and bring to a boil, continue to boil for 3 to 5 minutes.
6. Turn off the heat and let the chicken cool completely in the stock.
7. Once the chicken cools, place it on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
8. Remove the chicken and brush it with soy glaze.
9. Raise oven heat to 400 to 425 F and bake the chicken for 10 to 15 minutes more.
10. Carve and serve the Soy Sauce Chicken hot.
The chef here has prepared Chinese style soy sauce chicken. This is an excellent baked chicken recipe, wonderfully flavored with soy sauce, ginger and star anise powder. Finally the chicken is glazed with a soy glaze for a wonderful color and flavor!