|Coffee ice cream||2 Pint, softened|
|Strawberry ice cream||1 Pint, softened|
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Chopped walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Make ice cream mold: Spoon coffee ice cream into 8-cup mixing bowl, spreading evenly over bottom and up side to line completely and leave a hollow in middle for strawberry ice cream. Freeze until firm, then spoon strawberry ice cream into hollow. Smooth top flat with a knife; cover with foil. Freeze overnight.
2. Make torte layer: Measure flour, baking powder and salt into sifter.
3. Beat shortening with brown sugar until fluffy in the small bowl of electric mixer at high speed; beat in egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, until mixture is blended.
4. Sift in dry ingredients, a third at a time, adding alternately with milk; stir just until blended; stir in vanilla and walnuts. Pour into a greased and floured 9-inch layer cake pan.
5. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 30 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly pressed with fingertip.
6. Cool in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Loosen around edge with knife; turn out onto rack; cool completely.
7. Put baked ALASKA together this way: Place torte layer on a double-thick strip of foil on a cookie sheet. (This makes it easy to slide hot dessert onto its serving plate.) Loosen ice cream from mold by dipping mold in and out of pan of hot water, then invert onto center of torte layer. Lift off mold. Return to freezer while
8. Make meringue: Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy-white and double in volume in a medium-size bowl with electric mixer at high speed. Sprinkle in granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until sugar dissolves and meringue stands in firm peaks.
9. Spread over ice cream cake mold, swirling in peaks, to cover completely. (Work quickly so the ice cream doesn't melt.) Return to freezer until serving time.
10. When ready to serve, bake in very hot oven (475°) 3 to 4 minutes, or just until peaks are a toasty gold.
11. Slide cake onto a chilled serving plate; pull out foil strip. Use a sharp bread or carving knife to slice or cut into wedges.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6048 Calories from Fat 3133
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 351 g539.9%
Saturated Fat 45.6 g228.2%
Trans Fat 13.5 g
Cholesterol 747.9 mg249.3%
Sodium 2155.5 mg89.8%
Total Carbohydrates 628 g209.3%
Dietary Fiber 39.5 g157.8%
Sugars 470.6 g
Protein 107 g214%
Vitamin A 18.8% Vitamin C
Calcium 119.2% Iron 100.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet