Basic Buddhist Vegetable Dish
|Soy sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Sesame oil||3 Drop|
1. Select 9 to 12 of the ingredients listed below, choosing some from each category: dried, fresh and miscellaneous. (Although less typical, as few as 4 or 5 ingredients may be used.) Prepare each ingredient, as indicated below.
2. Combine water, soy sauce, sherry and salt.
3. Heat oil. Add selected ingredients, and stir-fry 3 to 5 minutes. (This will take a large pan. If one is not available, cook 3 or 4 ingredients at a time, then assemble them in step 5 and reheat before adding cornstarch paste.)
4. Add water-soy mixture and heat quickly; then simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender (about 15 minutes).
5. Blend cornstarch and sugar to a paste with remaining cold water, soy sauce and salt; then stir in to thicken. Sprinkle vegetable mixture with sesame oil; stir in and serve.