Spinach artichoke dip has to be one of the most popular appetizers of all time. Although the traditional varieties depend on dairy ingredients for their base, this vegan alternative is rich and creamy, with a hint of smokiness from cumin. Learn a tofu technique to replace all cream based sauces that is dairy free and much lower in fat and calories.
2 Cup (32 tbs)
1 Carton (1 l)
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)
Medium, finely diced
3 Clove (15 gm), minced
15 Ounce, washed and drained
1 Can (10 oz), drained, rinsed, chopped
1 Teaspoon, ground
1. Blend tofu in food processor till smooth and creamy
2. In a medium sauce pan, heat oil over med-high heat. Add onions and cook until soft and translucent.
3. Add garlic and artichokes till it is dry. Add the spices and sauté till cooked.
4. Stir in spinach, one handful at a time, until all is incorporated. Stir in the artichokes and cook for a few minutes.
5. Fold in the yeast mixture and mix well.
6. Last pour in tofu and lemon juice. Season with black pepper and adjust salt if necessary.
7. Serve warm or at room temperature in a bread bowl or with raw, crunchy chilled vegetables.