Seasoned Artichokes - An easy and elegant appetizer
|Artichoke||4 Medium (firm)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Sea salt||1 Pinch|
|Bay leaf||2 Medium|
|Herbs de provence||1 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Bread crumb||2 Tablespoon|
|Mayonnaise||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Optional)|
|Lemon||2 Medium, sliced into wedge|
1. Cut the prickly tip of each leaf with scissors.
2. Cut the stem close to the bottom of the choke - so it sits upright without wobbling.
3. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
4. Add to water a splash of olive oil, a pinch of sea salt and 2 bay leaves.
5. Immerse the chokes in the boiling water and cover.
6. Turn heat down to medium – water should continue to boil until chokes are done (approximately 45 minutes – 50 minutes.
7. Test doneness by pulling a leaf from the stem. It should come off with a gentle tug – Do not overcook or undercook.
8. Open up the leaves of each artichoke, so each leaf is a vessel for melted butter (optional) and seasonings 9. Generously sprinkle melted butter, seasonings, parmesan and bread crumbs on top of (and inside) the leaves 10.Squeeze fresh lemon over each choke.
11. Garnish the plate with lemon wedges and serve seasoned chokes hot, or at room temperature Can also be served with a side of mayonnaise for dipping.
For more recipes please visit The Brown Lounge Website
Calories 363 Calories from Fat 266
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g45.7%
Saturated Fat 3.1 g15.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 19.6 mg6.5%
Sodium 430 mg17.9%
Total Carbohydrates 23 g7.8%
Dietary Fiber 9.5 g38%
Sugars 1.8 g
Protein 6 g11.4%
Vitamin A 1.2% Vitamin C 65.9%
Calcium 9.7% Iron 14.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet