Easy Steamed Artichokes with Tangy Dipping Sauce
|Globe artichoke||3 Large|
|Lemon juice||3 Tablespoon (Optional)|
|Olive oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (for the dipping sauce)|
|Umeboshi plum vinegar/Balsamic vinegar||1 Cup (16 tbs) ((or lemon juice) for the dipping sauce)|
1. Trim the artichokes by cutting off some of the stem so the artichoke can sit upright without tipping over. Trim with scissors by cutting straight across the very top portion of each leaf.
2. Fill a large saucepan or pot 2/3 full with water. Add the 3 Tbsp. of lemon juice. Add the artichokes to the water and let stand for 15-30 minutes. This preserves the artichoke's color throughout the cooking process. Drain the artichokes. (You can skip with process).
3. Fill a large saucepan with 2 inches of water. Place the artichokes in it, cover, and steam the artichokes for about 30-40 minutes, adding more water as necessary.
4. Pull a leaf to test for doneness. The leaf should pull out easily, and its fleshy end should be soft to eat.
5. Combine olive oil and plum vinegar/balsamic/lemon juice in a dipping bowl.
6. Cut the artichokes in half or leave full and serve them with the sauce.
7. To eat, pull a leaf from the artichoke and dip it in the sauce. Eat the fleshy end of the artichoke and discard the leaf. When you reach the center, remove the inedible choke and purple-toned inner leaves and dip the fleshy heart in the dip to eat.
Calories 788 Calories from Fat 637
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 72 g110.8%
Saturated Fat 9.9 g49.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 9.1 mg0.4%
Total Carbohydrates 37 g12.3%
Dietary Fiber 2.7 g10.6%
Sugars 22.3 g
Protein 3 g6.6%
Vitamin A 0.7% Vitamin C 22.3%
Calcium 2.8% Iron 32.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet