2) In a pan, melt the butter and stir in the sugar.
3) Stir in the artichokes and onions.
4) Put the lid on and braise over low heat for about 30 minutes or until soft and golden brown, stirring occasionally.
5) Season to taste.
6) Place the artichoke mixture in an ovenproof dish and cover with foil.
7) Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
8) If you wish to freeze the dish, then do so at this stage. Wrap the cooled unbaked artichoke mixture dish with the foil.
9) Seal, label and freeze.
10) Serve hot garnished with chopped parsley if desired.
11) If using the frozen artichoke mixture, thaw at room temperature for 4 hours.
12) Reheat covered in a preheated moderately hot oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown and heated through.
13) Serve as mentioned in step 10.