Braised Artichokes with Spinach
|Artichokes||6 Pound (6 Large, 1 Pound Each)|
|Fresh lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Spinach||4 Pound, large stems removed|
|Unsalted butter||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic clove||6 Medium, minced|
|Extra-virgin olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||2 Ounce (6 Tablespoon)|
|Chicken stock/Canned low sodium broth||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs), canned|
1) In a large bowl, combine water and lemon juice to soak the artichokes for 30 minutes.
2) Use a small sharp knife to trim the artichokes, by cutting off the stems and then peeling off all the dark outer leaves.
3) Cut off the leaves about 2 inches from the base, so that you can see the rose-colored centers.
4) Remove the remaining leaves and any dark outer skin from the artichoke bottoms.
5) With a teaspoon, scrape out the hairy chokes.
6) Place the trimmed artichokes into the large bowl of lemon water.
7) Thoroughly rinse the spinach by changing water for several times. Place aside.
8) In a large nonreactive flameproof casserole, pour in water to fill.
9) Place over high heat to bring a boil.
10) Add the artichoke bottoms by reducing the heat and simmer until fork-tender but still slightly firm, about 10 minutes.
11) Remove the artichokes and pat dry. Pour the water out of the casserole.
12) In the casserole, place the rinsed spinach with some of the water still clinging to the leaves.
13) Cover the casserole to steam the spinach over high heat, turning occasionally, until wilted, about 8 minutes. Drain the spinach and rinse with cold water to cool it down. Squeeze as much water as possible from the spinach, and then coarsely chop.
14) Wipe the casserole with a paper towel to dry.
15) Add the butter and melt over moderate heat.
16) SautÃ© the spinach, garlic and add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Stir in, until the garlic is fragrant, about 5 minutes.
17) Stir in the pepper and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, after removing from heat. Let cool.
18) In the artichoke bottoms, mound the spinach mixture.
19) Place the casserole over moderately low heat and sautÃ© the stuffed artichoke bottoms in remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
20) Pour in chicken stock and cover. Gently braise over low heat until the artichokes are just tender, about 30 minutes.
21) Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan on top of the artichokes and serve warm, with some of the broth spooned on top.
Calories 476 Calories from Fat 166
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g28.3%
Saturated Fat 5.4 g27.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 21.2 mg7.1%
Sodium 911.2 mg38%
Total Carbohydrates 64 g21.2%
Dietary Fiber 31.3 g125.3%
Sugars 7.2 g
Protein 29 g58.4%
Vitamin A 571.7% Vitamin C 240%
Calcium 61.5% Iron 79.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet