Braised Globe Artichokes
|Lemon||1 , juice squeezed|
|Onions||2 Large, finely chopped|
|Carrots||4 , peeled and finely diced|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), finely chopped|
|Dried thyme||2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry white wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Flat-leaf parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), coarsely chopped|
1. In a large mixing bowl, take lemon juice and pour three-quarters cold water.
2. Chop off the stems of the artichokes.
3. Discard the tough bottom leaves.
4. Chop off about 1 1/2 inches from the tops.
5. Snip the tops of the remaining leaves.
6. Soak artichokes in lemon water to prevent discoloration.
7. When it’s time to cook artichokes, drain them.
8. In a large pot, take artichokes and all the remaining ingredients except parsley.
9. Cover the pot partially.
10. Cook over medium-low heat for about 1 hour until the artichokes are tender; shake the pot occasionally.
11. Add a bit more water if required.
12. Once artichokes are tender, pick them up from the liquid with tongs.
13. Place them upside down on paper towels to drain.
14. In a large shallow bowl or deep platter, place artichokes.
15. Spoon vegetables along with some cooking liquid over the artichokes.
16. Garnish with parsley and serve at room temperature.
17. Serve with mayonnaise.