Artichokes with Lemon Sauce
|Olive oil/Salad oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), split|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), melted|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
1. In a large kettle, combine 3 quarts water with 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon slices, bay leaves, garlic, salt and pepper and bring to boiling.
2. Trim stalk from base of artichokes and cut a 1-inch slice from tops.
3. Remove discolored leaves and snip off spike ends.
4. Wash the artichokes in cold water drain and add to boiling mixture.
5. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 40 to 45 minutes until artichoke bases feel soft and drain well.
To make Lemon Sauce:
6. In a small bowl, mix the butter, 2 tablespoons olive oil and the lemon juice until well combined.
7. On individual plates, place artichoke and small cup of sauce.
8. To eat pull out leaves, one at a time and dip in sauce discarding the prickly choke.
Calories 454 Calories from Fat 291
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g50.8%
Saturated Fat 10.3 g51.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 30.2 mg10.1%
Sodium 808.3 mg33.7%
Total Carbohydrates 38 g12.8%
Dietary Fiber 19 g76.2%
Sugars 3.6 g
Protein 12 g23%
Vitamin A 8.6% Vitamin C 86.4%
Calcium 16.7% Iron 26.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet