1) Take the artichokes and remove chokes from them.
2) Make a mixture of bread crumbs, anchovies, parsley, pepper, and 2 tablespoons olive oil and pour it into centers of artichokes.
3) Take a large kettle and place the remaining oil and water in it.
4) Stand the artichokes with stem end down in the liquid. Add or remove the liquid from the pot so that it half covers the artichokes.
5) Simmer covered for 35-45 minutes until a leaf pulls off easily.
6) Serve hot with Drawn Butter Sauce or Lemon Butter as a first course or vegetable.