Duck Stuffed With Apricots
|Roasting duck||5 Pound (1 Whole)|
|Fresh apricots/1 large can apricots, drained||1 Pound|
|Stock||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (Made With Duck Giblets Or A Chicken Bouillon Cube)|
|Apricot brandy||4 Tablespoon|
Preheat oven to 400°F.
1. Stuff duck with half the seeded apricots and 3 strips of orange zest (the thin outer skin of orange),finely chopped onion, and seasoning. Prick skin of duck with fork to allow the fat to run out while cooking and season with pepper and salt.
2. Heat oil in baking pan. When very hot add duck and baste all over with oil. Roast in oven, allowing 20 minutes per pound. Half an hour before cooking is completed, spoon over the melted honey and juice of orange, which will give the skin a shiny crispness. Ten minutes before end of cooking, add rest of apricots to pan to heat through and brown slightly. Remove duck to a warm dish, and remove stuffing to a bowl. Arrange roasted apricots around duck.
3. Pour off fat from roasting pan, add stuffing to it with stock and bring to a boil, stirring all the time. When the sauce has a pleasant flavor, strain or blend in liquidizer or blender. Return to heat and add apricot brandy.
4. Place half the butter and the clove-studded onion inside the chicken and seal with a wooden pick.
5. Rub the chicken with the rest of the butter.
6. Spread about 1 pound of the coarse salt on the bottom of an ovenproof pan. Add enough water to moisten the salt.
7. Place the chicken with the breast up on the salt bed.
8. Mix the rest of the salt (how much depends on the size of the pan) with water to moisten it.
9. Cover the broiler completely with salt.
10. Place pan in oven and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes. Add potatoes when one hour of the baking time remains.
11. Cut and lift the salt cover with a sharp knife.
12. Remove chicken to a cutting-board. Trim off salt that has stuck to the skin. Carve the bird.