If your family loves applesauce and you have an apple tree in your backyard, this is a no-brainer! If your neighbors have extra apples to share, take them up on their offer or look for sales on apples at your local farmer's market or grocery store.
10 Pound (any kind or mixed)
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1. In a large pot fill 2/3rd portion with water. Bring it to boil on high heat. Gently place cleaned quart or pint jars into the water till covered. Boil for around 15 minutes to sterilize them. Set aside.
2. Wash and cut the apples into 4, core them if food mill is not available. Wash them again.
3. In a large pot, put the apples and pour water. Cover and bring it to a boil on medium heat. Let it cook for another 45 minutes or till the apples are soft and mushy.
4. Turn off the heat and let it cool for around 15 minutes.
5. Using either food mill or masher, mash the apples well. Set aside.
6. In a large bowl, put the lids and pour boiling water.
7. Take the sterilized jars and ladle the mashed apples leaving ½ to 1.4 inch air space. Run a chopstick into the jar to clear all the air bubbles.
8. Wet a kitchen towel with boiling water and clean the rim of the jars. Seal with the lids.
9. Boil water in the canning pot. Place the jars and boil them again for another 15 minutes (for pint jars) or 20 minutes (for quart jars).
10. Remove the jars from the pot and let them cool. The lids will begin to seal.
11. Once cooled completely store the apple sauce in a cool dry place for upto 3 years or use them to make desserts or any dish of your choice.
If the altitude is above 6000 Sq Ft above sea level, then boil the apple sauce cans for 20 minutes (pint jars) or 35 minutes (quart jars).
If any jar is not sealed while cooling then either use it first or repeat the sealing process with a new jar.
Spices like cinnamon, all spice, cloves, etc and also sweeteners can be used if desired.
Things You Will Need
food mill/ potato masher
heat resistant bowl
The best way to have cheap and good quality apple sauce all year round is to make it in bulk when it is in season and can it. Watch this video of Making and Canning Apple Sauce to do it professionally. You can store these jars fir up to 3 years. Isn't that a great idea to have quality food.