How easy is this?! Trust me… this is WAY better than those pre-packaged nasty “caramels” that you can buy. Nothing says love and fall like a delicious caramel apple. Oh, and did I mention this caramel sauce is phenomenal on just ice cream… just saying!
For caramel sauce
1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Optional)
1. Put the popsicle stick in the apples.
2. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray generously with cooking spray, set aside.
3. In a saucepan over medium heat, put sugar and stir constantly for about 6-9 minutes or until the sugar is dissolved or until thermometer reads 235 F.
4. Turn off the heat and carefully stream in heavy cream, as it will bubble a bit, stir until bubbles have gone.
5. Add in vanilla to the caramel sauce.
6. Put the heat on to medium low and cook for another 5 minutes stirring constantly.
7. Turn off the heat and allow to cool for about 3 -4 minutes.
8. Dip the apple in the caramel sauce or spoon the sauce all over the apple to coat well, sprinkle with chopped nuts if using and place on the baking sheet.
9. Allow the caramel to cool and set.
10. Serve with remaining caramel sauce and a scoop of ice cream if desired.