Mini Apple Pie Galettes
|For the pate sucre (pastry dough)|
|All-purpose flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Butter sticks||1 , frozen (cut into small pieces)|
|Egg yolk||1 Large|
|Ice water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|For the filling|
|Apples||2 Medium, slice (Fiji or Gala)|
|Brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Melted butter||2 Teaspoon|
|Lemon zest||1 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Eggs||1 Small, beaten|
1. In a mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, and salt, give a toss, add butter pieces and mix with fork/hands until it resembles coarse meal.
2. Add egg yolk and some of the water, tablespoons at a time, and combine with fork/hands just until you form soft dough.
3. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. In the meantime, peel and slice the apples and remove the core.
5. In a large bowl, gently mix apple slices with the sugars, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, flour, toss it with your hands and lastly add the melted butter, lemon zest, and salt. Set aside.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
7. Prepare a parchment lined cookie tray.
8. When dough has chilled, dust flour on the board and dust the dough with flour, flatten it out and divide into 6 portions.
9. Roll each one out to about ¼-inch thick. Transfer it to the cookie sheet.
10. Arrange apple filling in the middle of each round, leaving about ½-inch to 1-inch from the edges. Fold edges over to form a crust.
11. Brush crust with extra egg and sprinkle some sugar on top.
12. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until crust is golden brown.
13. Remove and let it cool for some time.
14. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!