Cranberry Apple Stuffed Squash
|Butternut squash||3 Pound (2 whole, 1 1/2 pound each)|
|Cooking apples||2 (Granny Smith)|
|Apple juice/Cider||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Firmly packed light brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ground pepper||To Taste|
|Fresh cranberries||1 Cup (16 tbs), washed|
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Scrub squash, cut in half lengthwise and remove seeds.
3. In shallow baking pan arrange, cut side down, surround with 1/2 inch hot water and bake 30 minutes.
4. To prepare apples pare, core and coarsely chop them.
5. In a medium saucepan, stir cornstarch into apple juice, mixing until smooth.
6. Add brown sugar, butter, dash salt, dash pepper, apple and cranberries and bring mixture to boiling, stirring constantly.
7. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 10 minutes until apple is tender and sauce is thickened.
8. Turn squash cut side up and bake 30 minutes longer until fork-tender.
9. Remove squash from oven and scoop out centers of squash, leaving 1/2 inch around edge.
10. Sprinkle inside of shells with dash each salt and pepper, chop squash and add to filling.
11. Over low heat, stir until heated through and spoon filling into cavities of squash, dividing evenly.
12. Cut each squash in half lengthwise and serve.