Apple and Avocado Broil
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Cheddar cheese||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), shredded|
|Country dijon mustard||2 Teaspoon|
|Lemon||1⁄2 , juiced|
|Whole wheat bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Preheat broiler to temperature high.
2) To prepare the sauce, in a small saucepan, melt the margarine and sprinkle in the four. Stir well over low heat for about 2 minutes till it is straw-colored.
3) Take the pan off the heat and stir in the milk very gradually.
4) Put the pan back on the heat and gently simmer, stirring, till the mixture is smooth and thick.
5) Add ½ cup if cheese and stir well. Add the mustard and season to taste. Stir well till the cheese has melted completely. Take the pan off the heat.
6) Peel the avocados and cut them in half. Take out the seeds. Cut the fruit lengthwise into thin slices.
7) Pare, quarter and core the apples and cut them into thin slices.
8) In au gratin dishes, arrange the slices of avocado and apple in layers. Squeeze the lemon juice all over the layers to prevent them from discoloring.
9) Over the avocado and apple layers, pour the prepared sauce.
10) Mix the remaining cheese together with the bread crumbs and sprinkle evenly on top of the layers.
11) Broil under the preheated broiler for about 5 minutes.
12) Transfer the hot preparation to a serving plate and serve while still hot. Makes a good appetizer.
Calories 512 Calories from Fat 288
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g51.4%
Saturated Fat 10.4 g52.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 35.6 mg11.9%
Sodium 376.4 mg15.7%
Total Carbohydrates 46 g15.5%
Dietary Fiber 12 g48.1%
Sugars 20.2 g
Protein 14 g27.2%
Vitamin A 17% Vitamin C 38.5%
Calcium 30.3% Iron 7.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet