Apple And Avocado Broil
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Cheddar cheese||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), shredded|
|Country dijon mustard||2 Teaspoon|
|Lemon||1⁄2 , juiced|
|Whole wheat bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Preheat broiler to temperature high.
2) To prepare the sauce, in a small saucepan, melt the margarine and sprinkle in the four. Stir well over low heat for about 2 minutes till it is straw-colored.
3) Take the pan off the heat and stir in the milk very gradually.
4) Put the pan back on the heat and gently simmer, stirring, till the mixture is smooth and thick.
5) Add ½ cup if cheese and stir well. Add the mustard and season to taste. Stir well till the cheese has melted completely. Take the pan off the heat.
6) Peel the avocados and cut them in half. Take out the seeds. Cut the fruit lengthwise into thin slices.
7) Pare, quarter and core the apples and cut them into thin slices.
8) In au gratin dishes, arrange the slices of avocado and apple in layers. Squeeze the lemon juice all over the layers to prevent them from discoloring.
9) Over the avocado and apple layers, pour the prepared sauce.
10) Mix the remaining cheese together with the bread crumbs and sprinkle evenly on top of the layers.
11) Broil under the preheated broiler for about 5 minutes.
12) Transfer the hot preparation to a serving plate and serve while still hot. Makes a good appetizer.