|Self-raising flour||8 Ounce|
|Cold water||8 Tablespoon (To Mix)|
|Cooking apples||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Demerara sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon/2-3 cloves||1⁄2 , rind grated|
1) Grease a basin and prepare a steamer (or a saucepan with boiling water).
2) In a bowl, sift flour and salt.
3) If using fresh butcher's suet, take off the skin and finely shred and chop with little flour.
4) In a mixing bowl, add suet and flour and cold water and work to a light dough and knead lightly.
5) Make 6-7 inch diameter rounds from the pastry.
6) Lightly dust the centre with flour and fold in half.
7) In a double layer of pastry, make a large dart tapering to a point on the fold.
8) Then from the point of the dart, roll out the folded end and form a pouch for the bottom of the pudding basin.
9) Carefully line the pastry into the basin, dusting off any extra flour.
10) Slice the peeled and cored apples into the basin and layer with sugar and lemon rind or cloves.
11) Spoon over some water.
12) Moisten the pastry edges and pullover the hanging pastry up and over the fruit
13) Firmly press together.
14) To steam, cover with a piece of greased greaseproof paper and foil. (For boiling cover with a scalded cloth).
15) Allow to steam for 2 1/2 3 hours. (or boil for 2-2 1/2 hours).
16) Remove cloth or foil and greaseproof paper and stand for 3-4 minutes and then turn out on to a plate.
17) Top with custard or cream and brown sugar and serve hot.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2243 Calories from Fat 990
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 110 g169.3%
Saturated Fat 59.9 g299.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 77.1 mg25.7%
Sodium 3156.8 mg131.5%
Total Carbohydrates 295 g98.4%
Dietary Fiber 23.8 g95.3%
Sugars 101.1 g
Protein 26 g52.5%
Vitamin A 7.5% Vitamin C 89.4%
Calcium 83.1% Iron 65.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet