Baked Apple Custard
|Apple||1 , finely chopped (Unpeeled)|
|Water||875 Milliliter (3 1/2 Cups)|
|Skim milk||375 Milliliter (1 1/2 Cups)|
|Maple syrup/Honey||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoons)|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly grated nutmeg||1 Dash|
1. Grease 4 custard cups or 1 pie plate with a little oil
2. Preheat the oven to 325Â°F (165Â°C.)
3. Pour 3 cups ( 750 ml) of boiling water into a large baking pan and place in the preheating oven.
4. In a small saucepan, combine chopped apple and 1/2 cup (125 ml) of water.
5. Cook on a medium low heat for about 5 minutes until apple is soft.
6. Drain excess water and add cinnamon to apple mixture.
7. Spoon apple mixture into custard cups or pie plate.
8. In another small heavy saucepan, pour milk
9. Heat to scalding point over medium heat.
10. In the meantime, in a medium bowl, add egg, egg white and maple syrup and beat lightly to blend.
11. Add 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the hot milk to the egg mixture, whisking constantly to prevent egg from lumping.
12. Pour the egg mixture into remaining hot milk, stirring constantly until well blended.
13. Add Vanilla Extract to custard mixture and stir.
14. Pour custard over apple mixture in cups or pie plate.
15. Sprinkle a dash of freshly grated nutmeg on top of custards.
16. Place custard cups in hot water bath (baking pan with hot water) in preheated oven
17. Bake custards for about 1 hour, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean
18. The custards can be served hot or cold.