Palterovich Creamy Apple Herring
|Sliced herring packed in vinegar and spices||24 Ounce, sliced (2 Jars, 12 Ounces Each)|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Granny smith apple||1 , cored|
|Sweet onion||1 Large, thinly sliced (Preferably Red Maui Or Vidalia)|
|Sour cream/Creme fraiche||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|White horseradish||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), drained, prepared|
|Fresh dill||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
|Fresh dill sprigs||3 (As Needed, For Garnish)|
1. First, drain the herring well and cut them into smaller pieces if required.
2. Clean the herring from all pickling spices.
3. Dice apple into irregular 1-inch pieces about 1/4 inch thick.
4. In a large bowl, pour the lemon juice.
5. Add diced apple and toss to coat evenly to prevent discoloration.
6. Add the herring and onion; stir gently to mix.
7. In another large mixing bowl, mix the sour cream, horseradish, and chopped dill together.
8. Add the herring mixture.
9. Mix with folding movements.
10. Season with pepper; mix well.
11. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
12. Serve in an attractive glass bowl
13. Garnished with dill sprigs.