|Firm baking apples||12 Small (Such As Jonathans)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cinnamon sticks||4 Inch (2 Pieces, 2 Inch Each)|
|Apple cider||1 Gallon|
|Sugar||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Brandy||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. For Baked Apples—Butter two baking dishes and insides of covers.
2. Wash and core apples.
3. Core by inserting corer in stem end; cut toward blossom end, pushing halfway into apple. Remove corer and insert in opposite end. Make a complete turn with corer in both ends. Remove all the core. Pare about 1-in. strip of peel at the stem end of each apple.
4. Arrange apples in baking dishes, pared sides up. Fill each with 2 to 3 teaspoons of a mixture of 3/4 cup brown sugar, 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg and 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and top each with one-half teaspoon of butter or margarine.
5. Combine 1 cup sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to boiling.
6. Pour over apples in baking dish.
7. Cover and bake at 350°F 30 to 40 min., or until tender when pierced with a fork. Baste every 5 min. for first 15 min., and then every 15 min.
8. For Wassail—Stir 2 cups water, ginger, 1 tablespoon nutmeg, cloves, allspice and 2 2-in. sticks cinnamon together in saucepan.
9. Cover and bring to boiling; boil for 10 min.
10. Combine apple cider, 3 cups sugar, and 1 1/2 cups brown sugar in 6-qt. saucepan.
11. Simmer over low heat, stirring frequently. Stir in water-spice mixture and continue cooking 5 to 10 min.
12. Meanwhile, beat egg yolks until very thick and lemon-colored.
13. Beat egg whites until rounded peaks are formed.
14. Slide beaten egg whites into punch bowl. Pour beaten egg yolks over egg whites. Fold together. Add the hot mixture very slowly, stirring constantly. Stir in brandy.
15. Float Baked Apples in hot beverage. Serve hot.