Apple Pan Dowdy
|Tart apples||8 Large|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon, grated|
|Flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Pare, core, and slice the apples into a 2-quart casserole.
2) In a bowl, mix together sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
3) Add the mix over the apples and dot with butter.
4) Sprinkle water over the entire mix.
5) With a pastry blender, blend flour, salt, and shortening till it appears like the consistency of small peas.
6) Add 3 tablespoons of water, till the dough forms a firm ball.
7) Flour a surface and roll out the dough to the size of the baking dish.
8) Make small cuts in the dough.
9) Use water and moisten the edges of the dish.
10) Press the edges of the dough to the dish and seal.
11) Sprinkle additional sugar and cinnamon.
12) Place in the oven at 425 degrees and bake for 30 minutes.
13) Remove and break the crust into pieces of 3-inch squares.
14) Partly fold in the pieces into the apple filling.
15) Return to the oven and continue baking at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, or till the apples are cooked.
16) Serve with whipped cream.