Party Baked Apples
|Corn syrup||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon rind||1 Teaspoon, grated|
|Blanched slivered almonds||14|
1) Preheat oven to moderate (350° F).
2) In a saucepan, add syrup, water, cinnamon, lemon rind, butter or margarine, and the first 2 tablespoons sugar.
3) Place over heat and bring the liquid to a boil.
4) Peel the upper half of the apples and core.
5) In a shallow baking dish, place the apples.
6) Pour in the syrup mixture over the apples and place into the oven.
7) Bake for about 1 hour, by frequent basting.
8) Meanwhile, prepare the meringue by beating egg white and gradually mixing 2 tablespoon sugar to the egg.
9) Remove the apples from oven and top with meringue.
10) Place almonds in meringue and return the apples inside the oven for 15 minutes.
11) Serve the apples with additional syrup.