Chocolate Apple Dacquoise
|For meringue layers|
|Pecans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg whites||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Whites Of 6 To 8 Eggs)|
|For chocolate buttercream|
|Semisweet chocolate||5 Ounce|
|Unsweetened chocolate||1 Ounce|
|Espresso coffee/Strong, brewed coffee||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), boiling|
|Unsalted butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut into small pieces (1 Stick)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|For poached apple slices:|
|Granny smith apples/Pippin / cortland apples||2 , peeled, cored, and sliced|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|For whipped cream icing|
|Whipping cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Fresh mint leaves||1 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
|Candied flower||1 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
1. Preheat oven to 300° F.
2. Take a buttered aluminum foil or a baking sheet lined with parchment.
3. Powder 1 cup sugar and nuts by passing through a food processor with steel blade.
4. Take a bowl, add egg whites and whisk well. Slowly add 3 tbsp sugar and continue to beat till stiff peaks are formed. Fold in nut mixture.
5. Take a pastry bag with plan tip. Transfer the meringue mixture. Pipe out on the baking sheet as 3 rectangles of 5 X 9 inches and bake for an hour.
6. While warm, slowly separate meringues and parchment and keep aside.
7. Powder chocolates by passing through a food processor with steel blade. In between, add boiling coffee as a steady stream. Add butter and egg yolks and continue to process till butter blends well.
8. Add applejack and vanilla and blend well to prepare chocolate butter cream.
9. Take a saucepan, add apple slice, vanilla, sugar and water, bring to boil. Lower heat to minimum and allow to simmer till apples are just tender. Drain, allow to cool and keep aside.
10. Take a bowl, add cream and beat to form stiff peaks. Mix Calvados or applejack, vanilla and sugar and keep aside the icing. Reserve ½ cup icing separately.
11. Take a serving tray, arrange one meringue layer. Top with 1/3rd chocolate butter cream and half the apple slices. Repeat the process with rest of the two meringue layers, arranged one above the another. Top the final layer with icing and butter cream and allow to chill.
12. Now, using whipped cream icing, ice the cake completely.
13. Take a pastry bag with star tip, add the reserved whipped icing. Now, decorate the cake top in a very attractive fashion by piping the whipped icing.
14. Garnish with candied flower and mint leaves.
15. Slice using a serrated knife and serve.