Glazed Apple Jalousie
|Currants/Raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated lemon rind||2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Ground cardamom||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Frozen patty shells||10 Ounce, thawed (1 Package)|
|Canned pie sliced apples||20 Ounce, drained (1 Can, 1 Pound 4 Ounce Size)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Apple jelly/Carb apple jelly||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), melted|
1. Preheat oven to 450°. Combine currants, lemon rind, sugar and cardamom in a small bowl. Blend in butter or margarine with a fork.
2. Overlap 3 patty shells on a lightly floured surface; overlap remaining 3 patty shells next to them so that all are overlapped. Roll out to a 13 x 12-inch rectangle.
3. Place a double thickness of 12-inch aluminum foil on a cooky sheet. Cut a 13x5-inch piece of pastry; place on foil. Cover center of pastry with 1/3 of the apples; sprinkle with 1/3 of the sugar mixture. Add more apples and sugar mixture; repeat for top layer.
4. From remaining pastry cut 4 strips, each 13 x 1/2 inches; cut each in half. Brush edges of pastry base with beaten egg. Place strips in 4 crisscross patterns over apples, pressing ends onto base.
5. Cut remaining pastry into 1-inch strips; place along all 4 edges of pastry base to fasten down the crisscrosses and seal in filling. Press firmly into place. Brush all surfaces with beaten egg. Carefully fold edges of foil to contain pastry. This will help keep the shape of the pastry.
6. Place in very hot oven (450°). Immediately lower heat to 400°. Bake 30 minutes, or until pastry is golden. Cool a few minutes on cooky sheet. Carefully remove from foil to wire rack. While still hot, brush entire jalousie with melted jelly.