Apple And Hazelnut Peasant Girl In A Veil
|Cooking apples||3 , peeled, cored and roughly chopped|
|Lemon rind piece||1 (2 Inch Piece)|
|Apple juice/Water||1 Tablespoon|
|Grated ginger root||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sultanas||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Clear honey||2 Tablespoon|
|Wholemeal breadcrumbs||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
|Soft light brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Toasted hazelnuts||2 Ounce, finely chopped (50 Gram)|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon (To Decorate)|
|Creme fraiche/Yogurt/fromage frais||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (To Serve)|
1. Place the apple in a saucepan with the lemon rind, apple juice or water and ginger, and heat gently until the apple pieces begin to soften, stirring occasionally. Once the juices have begun to ooze from the apples, add the sultanas, cover the pan with a lid and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes or until apple has become light and fluffy.
2. Remove from the heat, and beat with a wooden spoon to make a slightly coarse puree. Add honey to taste and remove and discard the lemon rind.
3. Heat a large frying pan until hot, add the breadcrumbs and toast, stirring constantly, until they are a light golden colour. Add the sugar and chopped hazelnuts, then remove the pan from the heat, still stirring constantly. Set aside to cool.
4. When the breadcrumb and nut mixture had cooled, break it into crumbs with the back of a spoon. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the apple puree into each of 4 small glasses, then cover with a layer of the crumb mixture. Repeat with the remaining apple and crumbs.
5. Either serve immediately or chill for 1 hour. Just before eating, dust the puddings with the ground cinnamon and serve with creme fraiche, yogurt or fromage frais, if you like.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1386 Calories from Fat 479
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 56 g85.9%
Saturated Fat 2.8 g14%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 270.3 mg11.3%
Total Carbohydrates 222 g73.9%
Dietary Fiber 26.1 g104.3%
Sugars 141.7 g
Protein 22 g44.9%
Vitamin A 5.9% Vitamin C 63.8%
Calcium 19.3% Iron 26.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet