Apple Yam Bake
|Tart apples||6 Medium, pared, quartered, cored and cut in thick slices to make 6 cups|
|Canned yams/Sweet potatoes||1 Pound, halved (1 Can)|
|Grated orange rind||1 Tablespoon|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||6 Tablespoon (3/4 Stick)|
|Whole wheat cereal flakes||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1. Mix the apples, potatoes and orange rind in 12-cup baking dish.
2. Mix brown sugar, salt and cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle half over apple mixture; toss lightly to mix. Drizzle 3 tablespoons of the melted butter or margarine over top; cover.
3. Bake in moderate oven (350°) for 1 hour.
4. Toss cereal flakes with remaining brown-sugar mixture; lightly stir in remaining melted butter or margarine. Sprinkle over apple mixture. Do not cover.
5. Bake 15 minutes longer, or until topping is crisp.