Neil Perry also known as Neil Arthur Perry is a well known chef from Australia besides being an author, television presenter and restaurateur. He is also on board the consultation team of the Flight Catering of Qantas Airlines operating through his firm Rockpool Consulting and runs a food brand selling products in his name that can be found at Woolworths Supermarkets.
Professional Life of Chef Neil Perry
Neil Perry began working as an apprentice hair dresser briefly after which he took to work as a waiter. Through the role of a waiter he forayed into the hospitality industry running Sails restaurants at the McMahons Point in Sydney thereafter at Rose Bay. His interest turned into passion for cooking ending up working with established chefs including Gay Bilson, Damien Pignolet, Steve Manfredi, Stephanie Alexander and David Thompson. Neil Perry became head chef at Barrenjoey Restaurant, Palm Beach and was given creative control over Perry’s in Paddington. After managing a restaurant as its head chef, Neil Perry started the Rockpool restaurant in February 1989 partnering with his cousin Trish Richards. Between 2007 and 2009 saw Perry opening the Rockpool Bar & Grill in Melbourne, two Perry restaurants- Spice Temple and Rockpool Bar & Grill in Sydney, located in the same building on Bligh St in Sydney's CBD and reopening his old restaurant with a major facelift in classic style rechristened as Rockpool (fish).The restaurant bears a less formal appeal as compared to Rockpool, being an sophisticated steakhouse, located in Crown Casino.
The Melbourne Good Food Guide awarded Neil Perry with two desirable "chefs hats".
Food Inventions of Chef Neil Perry
- Neil Perry recipes are flavorful, interesting and palatable. Here are a few of them:
- Lamb Cutlets with Lemongrass and Ginger is a spicy and flavorful preparation of lamb.
- Horseradish Cream is a versatile side dish that goes with many meats.
- Barbequed King George Whiting, Sicilian Style is an Italian delight from Neil Perry recipes made using King George whiting fillets as the main ingredients.
- BBQ Veal Meatballs with Baba ganoush is among appetizing Neil Perry recipes made using eggplants and veal mince as the main ingredients.
Popular Media Shows
Neil Perry is also a popular television food host in Australia with shows on Channel Nine, Foxtel network, LifeStyle Food and LifeStyle channels besides on BBC2 in Britain. Here are his popular shows:
- Rockpool Sessions
Begun in 2004, the series is in seven-parts with half-hour episodes also at times featuring top chefs of Australia such as Armando Percuoco, Karen Martini and David Thompson to name a few.
- Food Source Neil Perry/Asia/New Zealand/Far North Queensland
This started in 2001 and gives a deep insight into the food culture of Australia featuring top chefs, wine and food producers with over 20 Neil Perry recipes. The show is still on over the LifeStyle channel, BBC2 and the LifeStyle Food channel.
- Fresh & Fast/Fresh & Fast Christmas Special
This is a series in 13-parts.
- neil perry - high steaks
The show is mostly shot at Rockpool restaurants aired on The LifeStyle Channel.
Neil Perry has authored many books with Neil Perry recipes including:
- Rockpool (1997)
- Simply Asian (2000)
- Food Source (DVD, 2002)
- The Food I Love (2005)
- Good Food (2007)
- Balance and Harmony (2008)