Louisville, the biggest city in Kentucky, United States, is quite famous for its southern cooking style, where the food in Louisville is diverse ranging from different kinds of fruits to vegetable dishes to meat based dishes.
Cultural Influence on Louisville Cuisine
Though the cuisine of Louisville is highly influenced by the southern cooking techniques, yet there are various areas in the city which offer a blend of both Midwest and South cuisines.
Popular Louisville Food Items
- Fruits – Among fruits peaches, watermelon, apples, cantaloupe, plums, pears, grapes, cherries, persimmons, and pawpaws are largely popular foods in Louisville.
- Grains- oatmeal and corn are most popularly used grains in the city.
- Vegetables – among vegetables, potatoes, carrots, turnips, onions, parsnips, tomatoes, butter beans, green beans, peas, kale, mustard greens, scallions, yellow summer squash, zucchini, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, cucumbers, bell peppers (termed as mangoes by rural Kentuckians), asparagus, banana peppers, beets, cabbage, and eggplant are largely used.
- Hot Brown – this is the most popular food in Louisville prepared of several ingredients where the ingredients are layered in the order of toasted bread, turkey, bacon, and tomatoes. Mornay sauce is used in the end as topping.
- Kentucky Fried Chicken- this is one of the most popular dishes in Louisville, in Kentucky, in various other places of the world, where the chicken is prepared in a crispy form, and eaten as a snack with tomato sauce.
- Fried catfish and hushpuppies – this is a popular dinner time dish in Louisville where fish is fried after dipping it in cornmeal mixture of flour, cornmeal, red pepper and salt, and served along with hush puppies which are made by frying the batter prepared of cornmeal, baking powder, salt, flour, milk, egg and onions.
- Fried green tomatoes– This is a traditional dish in Louisville, where the sliced tomatoes are dipped in beaten egg, coated with a mix of bread crumbs and flour, fried and served after seasoning them with pepper and salt.
- Derbypie– this a nutty pastry, enriched with walnuts, pecans, cashew and peanuts, which is somewhat similar to pecan pie.
- Fried chicken and country fried steak– this is the specialty food in Louisville, where the steak is dipped in the mix of milk and egg, coated with bread crumbs or seasoned flour, and thereafter fried in oil until brown and crispy similar to fried chicken. The dish is normally served with milk gravy and mashed potatoes.
Places Famous for Louisville Food
- Home Run Burgers & Fries– this is a very famous fast food selling outlet in the city having burgers and hot dogs as the specialty fast foods.
- Chick-fil-A– this outlet is famous for its fast foods, breakfast and chicken dishes.
- Brown Hotel-This is one of the well renowned places in the city, where the most popular food in Louisville “Hot Brown” was developed.