Lady Baltimore Cake
The Lady Baltimore Cake is a white colored cake with a sugar boiled frosting containing dry fruits and nuts. It is a special cake from Southern United States and has got several recipe variations today. Lady Baltimore Cake is one of the favorite wedding cakes.
Lady Baltimore cake does not have a clear and documented history. However, according to the research of Janet Clarkson of The Old Foodie blog, the first recipe was published on December 24th 1906 in the Daily Gazette and Bulletin newspaper of Williamsport, Pennsylvania.
Ingredients and Preparation
Cake - Granulated sugar, milk, egg whites, butter, flour and baking powder. The egg whites are beaten, the flour sifted with baking powder and other ingredents and add egg whites are added n the end. The cake is baked in buttered pans.
Frosting - Granulated sugar with water is boiled until stringly. The egg whites are beaten and the boiling sugar is poured slowly into it, mixing well. The top and sides of the cake are coated with plain forsting. Finely chopped raisins and chopped nuts are stir-mixed into the remaining frosting for the filling between the two layers.
Health and Nutrition Facts
Serving size – 1 serving (1/12 of whole cake)
Approximate values per serving (Calories - 593 cal, Fat – 18.5 g, Carbohydrates – 102 g, Protein – 7.7 g, Saturated fat – 10.2 g, Cholesterol – 42 mg, Sodium – 411 mg, Potassium – 166 mg, sugars – 37 g, Dietary fiber – 1.4 g)
Nutritional Benefits of Lady Baltimore Cakes:
1. Low cholesterol
2. Contains calcium and Iron
3. Contains essential B –vitamins such as thiamine, niacin and folate
4. Contains dietary fiber
1. Lady Baltimore cake has essential B-vitamins and minerals such as calcium and iron contained in it. Calcium helps in the formation of healthy bones and teeth. Iron is an essential component of blood hemoglobin which transports oxygen in body.
2. Thiamine is required for the smooth and healthy functioning of the heart, muscles, and nervous system. Niacin helps in the digestion, and functioning of nerves.
3. Human body requires folate for the formation of RBCs. Folate aids in the creation of DNA and maintaining normal brain function. Folate is also a critical part of spinal fluid.
4. Dietary fiber is also important for good health, especially of the digestive system.
Health Concerns on Consumption of Lady Baltimore Cake
1. This cake contains high fat and saturated fat content. It also contains cholesterol hence it can be harmful for fatty and obese people. However, the saturated fats like butter can be replaced with unsaturated fats or its quantity can be reduced for making it a healthy dessert.
2. This cake is also high in sugar and sodium content hence can create risk for the people suffering from diabetes and hypertension. Low calorie artificial sweetners can be used in place of sugar, low sodium baking powder can be used and the quantity of butter can be reduced to reduce its high sodium content.