Kaukauna cheese is a variety of cheddar cheese, which is considered to be perfect for entertaining and snacking. The word Kaukauna indicates the stopping place of a fish called Pickerel, which resonates to the Menominee word O-Gau-Gau-Ning.
History of Kaukauna Cheddar Cheese
The Kaukauna cheese derives its name from the small town near Wisconsin. The cheese was first processed in 1918 by Hubert Fassbander using the cold pack process. The cold pack process makes the cheeses spreadable at room temperature. Now the Kaukauna brand is owned by Bel Brands USA.
Culinary use of Kaukauna Kaukauna cheese is used in the preparation of dips , snacks, and sauces. Also, they serve as an assortment to main dish or they make good spread.
Popular Kaukauna Cheese Recipes
- Kaukauna Yellow butterfly – This is quite easy to prepare and can be served as an appetizer.
- Kaukauna Dragon- Train of vegetables holds together by Kaukauna cheese.
- Cheesy Spinach Dip: An easy Kaukauna Cheese recipe; this cheesy dip is usually served with tortillas.
- Pretzel Dip: It tastes good with all crackers, pretzels and veggies.
- Kaukauna Cheesy Spud Topper: It is quite easy to prepare and tastes elegant too.
Buying, and storing Kaukauna Cheeses
While buying and storing Kaukauna cheeses, following points should be kept in mind:
- Spreadable varieties should be refrigerated before the use. And they can be frozen for a year. Extreme freezing can make the texture crumbly. Under normal circumstances the Kaukauna cheeses can retain the freshness for 3 months.
- Some of the cheeses are shelf -stable and only require refrigeration after the use.
Types of Kaukauna Cheese Products
Three types of Kaukauna cheese products that are available in the super markets are: Cups and Tubs, Balls and Logs and Creamy Jars.
- Cups and Tubs: At present 9 flavors are offered under cups and tubs. They are : Sharp cheddar; Extra sharp cheddar; Pepper Jack ; Sharp Cheddar Light; Port Wine Light; Garden Vegetable; Port Wine; Smokey Cheddar; Swiss Almond; and Smokey Cheddar.
- Balls and Logs: At present 8 flavors of cheese balls and 6 types of cheese logs are offered. The cheese ball flavors are: Sharp Cheddar; Smoky Bacon: Port Wine; Garden Vegetable; Cheddar and Cream Cheese; Parmesan Ranch; Pepper Jack; and Beef ‘n’ Onion
- The cheese log flavors are: Sharp Cheddar; Port Wine; Double Sharp Cheddar; Double Smoky-Sharp Cheddar; Double Sharp/Swiss; and Double Sharp/Port Wine.
- Extremely Creamy: The extremely creamy Kaukauna cheese spreads are available in 4 flavors: Mozzarella Italian, Vermont White Cheddar; Horse radish and 3 Cheese Italian.