Catsup is also called ketchup or catch-up and is made from tomatoes. Hence ketchup is also called tomato ketchup, Tommy sauce, and red sauce. Ketchup is used as a condiment in sandwiches, fried food, burgers, French fries, fish fries, chips and even grilled meats. Ketchup is made from tomatoes along with spices like garlic and cloves. Different recipes may exist at different places for the tomato ketchup with the inclusion of herbs, allspice, cinnamon and onions.
Originally, ketchup was used to refer to a sauce made out of mushrooms with herbs and spices. It is supposed to be Chinese in origin with the name ke - tsiap, implying a pickled ˜fish sauce”.
Ingredients and Preparation
The main ingredients used for the preparation of catsup are – tomatoes, sugar, garam masala (allspice), salt, red chilli powder, acetic acid (white vinegar), corn flour and sodium benzoate (preservative).
Take ripe tomatoes, wash them and cut into small pieces, boil to cook the tomatoes, strain the cooked tomatoes using a strainer (having fine sieve), and now we have the tomato pulp without the seeds. Boil the pulp to make it thick and add the sugar during boiling. Dissolve the corn flour in a little water and add to the boiling pulp, now add garam masala, red chilli powder and salt and mix them all very well. Remove from the heat when it becomes thick. Add vinegar and preservative in some water mix it with the sauce, and let the catsup cool.
Health and Nutrition Facts
Serving size – 240 g
Approximate values per serving (Calories - 233 cal, Fat – 1 g, Carbohydrates – 60 g, Protein – 4 g, Saturated fat – 0 g, Cholesterol – 0 mg, Sodium – 267 mg, Dietary fiber – 1 g, Sugars – 55 g)
Nutritional Benefits of Catsup are
1. Very low in saturated fats
2. Zero cholesterol
3. Good source of Vitamins A and C
4. Contains potassium, calcium and iron
5. Also Contains Dietary fiber
1. Catsup contains potassium which is good for people suffering from hypertension (high blood pressure)
2. Catsup also contains Vitamin A and C. Vitamin A helps in enhancement of night vision. Vitamin C functions as an antioxidant, helps maintaining healthy gums and prevents the scurvy (a disease).
3. Catsup is a good source of Calcium and Iron. Calcium is required for the healthy bones and teeth. Iron which helps in the formation of hemoglobin which in turn aids in transport of oxygen in body.
4. It contains Dietary fiber which is required for better health and digestion
Disadvantage of Catsup
Catsup is high in sodium hence can create risk for the people already suffering from hypertension. Also a large amount of calories come from sugar.