American icing is the name used for delicious American-style confectioner’s frosting employed in decorating all kinds of cakes, pastries and desserts. It may be spread as a thick or thin layering on cakes and maybe colored for additional effects. It has a delightfully light, airy and fluffy texture with an extremely sweet and buttery flavor. Furthermore, it is considered an all-purpose frosting that can be used both to fill and/or frost American-style sponge cakes, butter cakes, chiffon cakes, cupcakes and even butter cookies among others.
American Icing Recipe
- Confectioners’ sugar (icing or powdered sugar), sifted
- Unsalted butter, room temperature
- Pure vanilla extract
- Milk or light cream
- Assorted food colors (for colored frosting as desired)
Using handmixer, butter is beaten, vanilla extract added, powdered sugar gradually blended in, followed lastly by the milk or cream. The mixture needs to be beaten until light fluffy consistency is attained. Coloring may be added towards the end.
The end result needs to be an icing with a good spreading consistency. It shouldn’t be too thick else there are chances of it tearing the soft cake. It shouldn’t be too thin as it would run and not hold. Therefore, the milk and/or sugar may have to be adjusted until just the right consistency is attained. Like most other frostings, American icing is at its best when used immediately. If not being used right away, it may be sealed in plastic (to keep from drying) and refrigerated for up to 10 days.
For use, it is to be first brought to room temperature and beaten once again until it regains its light and fluffy texture. If at any time, the icing appears too thick, a little milk may be added to achieve the appropriate spreading consistency.
· Melted and cooled unsweetened chocolate is used in making chocolate frosting from the above recipe. Cocoa powder may also be used.
· Instant coffee may be used for a 'mocha' flavor or
· Amaretto for a chocolate and hazelnut flavor.
Note: For softer and fluffier icing, a combination of unsalted butter and shortening should be used.
Nutritional Information (per serving)
· 181 calories with 88 calories from fat
· 9.8 g total fat with 4.2 g saturated fat; 12 mg cholesterol
· 24 g total carbohydrates with 23.6 g sugar and 0 g dietary fiber
· 0.1 g protein
· 34 mg sodium