Southwestern Egg Rolls
|Vegetable oil||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Skinless boneless chicken breast||3⁄8|
|Minced green onion||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Red bell pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon, minced|
|Frozen corn kernels||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Black beans||2 Tablespoon (rinsed and drained)|
|Frozen chopped spinach||1⁄2 Teaspoon, drained|
|Jalapeno peppers||1⁄2 Teaspoon, diced|
|Minced parsley||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||3⁄8 Pinch|
|Shredded monterey jack cheese||1 Tablespoon|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For deep frying)|
1. Rub 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over chicken breast. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook chicken approximately 5 minutes per side, until meat is no longer pink and juices run clear. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in green onion and red pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes, until tender.
3. Dice chicken and mix into the pan with onion and red pepper. Mix in corn, black beans, spinach, jalapeno peppers, parsley, cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes, until well blended and tender. Remove from heat and stir in Monterey Jack cheese so that it melts.
4. Wrap tortillas with a clean, lightly moist cloth. Microwave on high approximately 1 minute, or until hot and pliable.
5. Spoon even amounts of the mixture into each tortilla. Fold ends of tortillas, then roll tightly around mixture. Secure with toothpicks. Arrange in a medium dish, cover with plastic, and place in the freezer. Freeze at least 4 hours.
6. In a large, deep skillet, heat oil for deep frying to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Deep fry frozen, stuffed tortillas 10 minutes each, or until dark golden brown. Drain on paper towels before serving.
Calories 614 Calories from Fat 427
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 48 g74.4%
Saturated Fat 7.7 g38.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 25.3 mg8.4%
Sodium 458.6 mg19.1%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.4%
Dietary Fiber 4.1 g16.3%
Sugars 2 g
Protein 16 g31.2%
Vitamin A 14% Vitamin C 10.4%
Calcium 8.9% Iron 12.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet