Home-Cooked Easter Feast
|Boneless leg of lamb||16 Pound, fat trimmed to about ¼ inch thick|
|Sea salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|For the lamb marinade|
|Basil leaves||2 Cup (32 tbs), packed|
|Italian parsley||1 Cup (16 tbs), packed|
|Cilantro leaves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), packed|
|Lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Black pepper powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Extra virgin olive oil||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|For the herbed yogurt sauce|
|Plain yogurt||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), whole|
|Sour cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Basil||2 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Italian parsley||2 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Cilantro leaves||2 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Lemon zest||1 Tablespoon (approx. 1 lemon)|
|Shallots/Minced garlic||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon, minced|
|Sea salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Black pepper powder||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|For the salmon salad|
|Mixed greens||8 Ounce|
|Green beans||5 Ounce|
|Red onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), thinly sliced|
|Cucumber/Persian cucumber||2 Cup (32 tbs), diagonally sliced|
|Grape tomatoes||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Kalamata olives||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), pitted|
|Smoked salmon slices||12 Ounce|
|Avocados||2 Large, halved lengthwise, pitted then sliced (ripe)|
|Lemon wedges||1 Medium (for garnishing)|
|Dill sprigs||2 Medium (for garnishing)|
|For the dill caper dressing|
|Dill||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|Dijon mustard||1 Tablespoon|
|Capers||3 Teaspoon, drained|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sea salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper powder||1 Teaspoon|
|For the berry custard crust|
|Graham cracker crumbs||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||6 Tablespoon, melted|
|For the berry custard filling|
|Sweetened condensed milk||14 Ounce (approx. 3 cans)|
|Heavy whipping cream||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (about 3 lemons)|
|Lemon zest||2 Tablespoon (about 3 lemons)|
For the Garlic and Herb Roasted Boneless Leg of Lamb
1. For the lamb marinade: In a food processor, add the garlic, basil, parsley and cilantro and pulse and pulse it until finely minced. Slowly pour in olive oil from the top while processor is on and beat for a few seconds until smooth.
2. Using a spatula scrape down the sides of the food processor and add in the lemon juice, salt and black pepper. Blend until the mixture is well combined. Once done, transfer it into a bowl and set aside.
3. For the Herbed Yogurt Sauce: In a bowl, combine the yogurt and sour cream well. Then add in the basil, parsley, cilantro, lemon zest, shallots, sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Mix well, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
4. On a chopping board, place the folded lamb, remove the netting and set it aside for re-use. Using a sharp knife make several slits on both sides of the meat with the tip.
5. Take the lamb marinade and rub it all over lamb and spoon some of it into each slit. Once done, fold the lamb and insert it back into the netting.
6. Then place the lamb in a 2 pound zip lock bag and pour in the remaining marinade. Remove excess air from the bag and seal it tight. Refrigerate it overnight.
7. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F to roast the lamb.
8. Before roasting the lamb, remove it from the bag 1 hour earlier and sprinkle it generously with sea salt and fresh ground pepper on both sides.
9. Once done, place the lamb fat side up on a rack in a heavy roasting pan and bring it to room temperature, for about 1 hour.
10. Once thawed, pour 2 cups of water in the roasting pan and place the roasting pan in the preheated oven in the bottom third rack. Roast it for about 20 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 325 degrees and roast until a thermometer inserted in the center of the lamb reaches 130-135 degrees for a medium-rare center, about 1 hour and 50 minutes to 2 hours long.
11. Once done, transfer the meat onto a platter and let it rest loosely covered in foil for about 10-15 minutes.
12. Cut away the netting and carve the lamb meat into ½ inch thick slices. Serve the lamb slices with herbed yogurt sauce.
For the Smoked Salmon Salad with Dill Caper Dressing
1. In a large pot on medium heat, pour water, add a pinch of salt and bring it to a boil.
2. Once it starts boiling, reduce the heat to a medium simmer. Add the green beans and cook for one minute.
3. After 1 minute, remove the beans from water with a slotted spoon and transfer it into a bowl of ice water to stop the beans from cooking. Then transfer the cooled drained beans to a small bowl and set aside.
4. For the Dill Caper Dressing: In a mixing bowl, add and combine the dill, dijon mustard, capers, and lemon juice. Whisk in the olive oil and generously season it with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Roll up the smoked salmon slices and set aside on a plate.
6. In a large serving platter, toss in the mixed greens, red onion and green beans. Lay the slices of cucumber, tomatoes and olives on top of the salad mixture as desired. Stack the rolled salmon slices in the center of the salad. Place the halved avocados on four sides of the salad and garnish it with the dill caper dressing and lemon wedges.
For the Berry Custard Cake
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F with the rack in the center.
2. In a colander combine and rinse the raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries well and set aside to drain completely. Gently pat dry and Set aside.
3. For the crust: In a medium sized bowl, add and combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter until moistened.
4. Take a 9-inch springform pan and pour the above batter into it and spread it evenly in the bottom of the pan and about 1-inch up the sides pressing gently with a spatula.
5. Place the pan in the oven and bake it for about 10 minutes. Once done, remove the pan and set aside to cool.
6. For the filling: In another bowl, add and combine the sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, heavy whipping cream and vanilla until well incorporated. Then whisk in the lemon juice and lemon zest until well combined.
7. Pour about 1/3 of the filling onto the cooled crust. Add about half of the mixed berries to cover the filling. Then pour another 1/3 portion of the custard filling, add the remaining berries and then top it with the remaining third of the filling. Gently spread the filling to cover the top of the pan or move the pan from side to side to distribute the filling evenly.
8. Bake this in the oven for about 30-35 minutes or until just set. Once done, remove the pan from the oven and let it cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate the cake until completely cold for about 3-4 hours or overnight.
9. Before serving, carefully run a hot knife around the cake to remove from the springform pan. Leave the bottom of the springform pan attached, to serve the cake or carefully transfer the cake onto a serving platter if preferred. Slice the cake into desired pieces and serve.