Romaine hearts stay nice and vibrant on the grill—perfect for the magical BBQ-glazed bacon, grilled onions, and creamy Amablu" cheese. Wegmans Chef Mark Makovec shows you how. If you are looking for something different to make on your grill this summer definitely give this recipe a try.
1 Small, thickly sliced (threaded on skewer lollipop-style.)
Cracked black pepper
2 Tablespoon (Wegmans)
Fresh romaine hearts
22 Ounce, halved (Wegmans 2 Food You Feel Good About)
Yogurt blue cheese dressing
3 Cup (48 tbs), divided (Wegmans)
4 Ounce, sliced (Food You Feel Good About Applewood Smoked Uncured Bacon)
2 Tablespoon, divided (Wegmans Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce)
4 Tablespoon, divided (Amablu St. Pete's Crumbled)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Place bacon on parchment paper-lined baking sheet in a single layer. Baste evenly and thoroughly with BBQ sauce.
3. Cook 16-17 min in oven, watching carefully. Remove from oven. Turn bacon over; baste with remaining BBQ sauce.
Return to oven. Cook 17-20 min until bacon is deep brown color, watching carefully to keep from burning.
4. Transfer bacon to clean parchment paper; let drain and cool.
5. Preheat grill on MEDIUM-HIGH for 10 minutes.
6. Season both sides of onion slices with salt and pepper, brush with basting oil (too much oil will cause flare-ups on the grill).
7. Grill onion with cover closed for about 5 minutes. Turn over; brush with basting oil and grill for 5-7 minutes more until it’s tender.
8. Slice romaine hearts in half and drizzle it with basting oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
9. Place romaine on grill, about 30 seconds for each side, just long enough to slightly mark and warm through.
10. Transfer the romaine on plates and drizzle with dressing.
11. Top each salad with onions, 1 slice crumbled BBQ bacon, and 1 Tablespoon blue cheese.