Nana's Pot Roast
|Chuck beef roast||3 Pound|
|For the marinade|
|Red onion||1⁄2 Medium, slice|
|Garlic||7 Clove (35 gm), mince|
|Black pepper corn||10 Small (10 small pieces)|
|Bay leaf stalk||2 Small|
|Thyme sprigs||2 Small|
|Parsley sprigs||2 Small|
|Dry red wine||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|For the stew|
|Kosher salt||2 Teaspoon|
|Dried herbs||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Beef stock||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs), slice (diagonally)|
|Pearl onions||1 Medium, slice|
|Turnip||1 Medium, chopped finely|
|Cremini mushrooms||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), quartered|
|Celery rib||2 Medium, slice|
|Garlic||9 Clove (45 gm) (whole)|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|Oil||4 Tablespoon, divided|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
1. Trim the excess fat from the chuck roast, do not trim all of the fat, and prick holes in the roast using a fork.
2. In a large pot add all the marinade – 1 ingredient except the salt and the meat then turn the heat to medium and simmer it for 5 minute and now add the salt and stir.
3. Let the marinade cool, in a zip lock bag place the meat and then add the cooled marinade into it.
4. Put the meat overnight in the refrigerator or at least 18 hours, occasionally keep turning the bag so that all the marinade is evenly distributed.
5. You also have to make a second batch of marinade with the same ingredients as marinade – 1 and also cool it down. Make it overnight.
6. The next day you have to throw the old marinade and pat dry the meat and let it rest at room temperature before you start cooking it.
7. Mix salt and dry herbs in a small bowl and then sprinkle it over the meat.
8. In a pan add 3 tablespoon of oil and keep the heat to medium high and then put the whole meat in the pan and now brown the meat on all side for 3-4 minutes, turning it every 3 minutes.
9. Once the meat is browned on all side you can remove the excess fat from the pan.
10. Now pour in the beef stock and the second batch of marinade.
11. Now bring it to a boil and scrape out the bottom, cook it for 4 hours or until the meat is tender, do not forget to occasionally turn and baste it every 30 minutes.
12. Once you bring it to a boil add the whole garlic and put a lid on the pot and reduce the heat to low and cook the meat.
13. Once you have an hour left for cooking you can add the vegetables excluding the mushroom and some sugar and then let the meat cook for 1 hour.
14. While the meat is cooking you can sauté the mushroom in a small skillet with butter and olive oil and keep it aside.
15. Once the meat is cooked you can add the mushrooms and stir.
16. Once done you can remove all the vegetables and meat from the liquid because the liquid has to be reduced for 10-15 minutes. You can skim off extra fat from the liquid.
17. You can keep the meat and the vegetables in the oven at 170 degree to keep it warm.
18. The meat roast is ready and you can cut thin slices and serve it with vegetables and mash potatoes
Use pearl onions or decreases the amounts of sliced onions by half, the pearl onion are better in presentation.
A good technique to know if the meat is ready to turn is when your meat can be easily picked up from the pan; If it sticks to the pan the it’s not ready.