Southern Baked Macaroni And Cheese
|Macaroni||3 Cup (48 tbs), uncooked|
|Heavy cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Pepper powder||To Taste|
|Smoked cheddar cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), shredded|
|Velveeta cheese||8 Ounce, shredded (reduce on preference)|
|Sharp cheddar cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), shredded (reduce on preference)|
|Colby cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), shredded (CHEESE BLEND)|
|Monterey jack cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), shredded (CHEESE BLEND)|
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Butter a 9 x 9 inch baking dish.
3. Cook macaroni until just al dente or a little under al dente. Be careful not to overcook. Drain pasta and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, add milk, heavy cream & velvetta, sharp cheddar, colbuy and monteray jack cheese. (except for the smoked cheddar). Stir to combine.
6. Taste the milk mixture and add salt & pepper adjust the taste. You can also add in other seasonings like onion, paprika, etc. Tasting will help avoid having a plain, bland bake macaroni & cheese.
7. When you are content with the taste, add in the eggs. Stir well until combined.
9. Add macaroni to the baking dish.
10. Pour cheese mixture over macaroni. Make sure the cheese distributed well.
12. Top with smoked cheddar cheese. (I add a little more Colby jack as well.) Sprinkle with paprika and/or black pepper, if desired.
13. Bake for 35 minutes. Do not overbake. It may be a bit jiggly when you take it out of the oven. It will firm up as it cool.
14. Let cool for about 15 minutes or until fully set.
15. In a serving plate, serve the macaroni and cheese garnished with more cheese with choice of main or as snack.
Reduce the Velveeta cheese if you don't like it too creamy.
Reduce the sharp cheddar cheese based on the sharpness required.