Healthier Salisbury Steak
|Lean ground beef||1 Pound|
|Onion||1 , chopped finely|
|Mushrooms||10 Medium, sliced|
|Carrot||1 Medium, chopped finely|
|Beef stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs) (1/2 cup for the steak and remaining for the mashed vegetables)|
|Cornstarch slurry||2 Tablespoon (1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1 tbsp of water until smooth)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste - 1 tsp. for the steak and remaining for the mashed vegetables)|
|Pepper||1 Teaspoon (to taste - 1 tsp. for the steak and remaining for the mashed vegetables)|
|Potatoes||2 Large, cut into 1 inch chunks|
|Cauliflower florets||8 Medium|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), halved|
|Baby peas||1 Cup (16 tbs), frozen|
1. Divide the beef into four equal parts then form each section into an oval shape and season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. For the mashed veggies – In a pot of salted water, add in the potatoes, cauliflower, and garlic.
3. Set the pot on high to bring it to a boil. Once it reaches a boil reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the veggies are fork tender.
4. Drain the veggies and add the milk, butter and salt and pepper to taste. Mash everything together.
5. Stir in the peas in the mixture, keep it aside.
2. Place a large non-stick skillet over a high heat, place the beef patties. Sear for 3 minutes on the first side and two minutes on the second, from the pan and set aside.
3. Lower the heat to medium, add the onions, mushrooms, and carrots to the pan with a tablespoon of olive oil and sauté for 5 minutes.
4. Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes then add the stock, milk, and corn-starch slurry to the pan and stir to combine.
5. Add the beef patties back into the pan and simmer for 15 minutes uncovered to reduce the sauce.
6. In a plate place steaks and serve with mashed veggies.
When forming the Salisbury steak patties it’s best to depress the centres of each patty so that instead of puffing up in the centre, they’ll be flatter when they cook.