Justin Wilson's Chicken & Sausage
|Sausages||1 Pound, sliced (pork and beef)|
|Olive oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Boneless chicken||2 Pound, cut into chunks|
|Onion||2 Cup (32 tbs), chopped finely|
|Green onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped finely|
|Green bell pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped finely|
|Parsley||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Garlic clove||2 Large, chopped|
|Aromatic rice||4 Cup (64 tbs), uncooked (Campbell Farms Gourmet Popcorn Rice)|
|Cajun spice||1 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
|Chicken stock||8 Cup (128 tbs) (homemade or canned)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
1. In a large Dutch oven or stove-top casserole, brown the sausages until cooked and fat is rendered. Remove and set aside.
2. To the drippings, add olive oil and heat. Add chicken (in batches if vessel is not too large) and brown evenly. Remove and set aside.
3. To the oil and chicken drippings add the chopped vegetables, and parsley. Saute until onions are soft and transparent. This will take about 5-8 minutes.
4. Return the sausage and chicken to the pot. Stir to mix well.
5. Add the rice and garlic and saute to mix with the chicken and sausage mixture.
6. Pour in the chicken stock and season with Cajun spice and salt. Give a good stir and bring the liquid to a boil.
7. Cover the pot with a tight fitting lid, reduce heat to low and let the rice simmer and cook gently for 1 hour or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
8. Let sit covered for a few minutes.
9. Serve the Jambalaya hot, straight from the pot!
Calories 1001 Calories from Fat 461
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 52 g80.1%
Saturated Fat 11.5 g57.6%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 138 mg46%
Sodium 1165.6 mg48.6%
Total Carbohydrates 92 g30.8%
Dietary Fiber 1.5 g6.1%
Sugars 6 g
Protein 40 g80.3%
Vitamin A 21.4% Vitamin C 41.7%
Calcium 8.4% Iron 16.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet