Surfin Sapo's Seafood Gumbo
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Okra||2 Cup (32 tbs), cut into 1 inch pieces|
|Green bell pepper||1 Large, chopped finely|
|Onions||2 Large, chopped finely|
|Louisiana shrimp||2 Pound, peeled, deveined|
|Crab claw meat||1 Pint|
|White wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Louisiana hot sauce||2 Teaspoon|
|Lea and perrins sauce||3 1⁄4 Tablespoon|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Cooked rice||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|File powder||1 Teaspoon|
1. To prepare the roux, in a large, heavy bottomed skillet heat 1 cup of vegetable oil on medium low heat. Add the flour to it. Using a wooden spoon to stir, cook the flour in the oil for 45 minutes or so, stirring frequently, until the mixture turns a rich brown color and resembles gravy. Take off the heat and keep the pan aside to cool.
2. In a large Dutch oven or stew pot, heat the olive oil. Add the okra pieces to it and saute for a few minutes, until it is no longer slimy.
3. Add the prepared roux to the okra (forgot to do that in the video) and heat on a medium flame. Add the onions and bell pepper and saute them until soft and translucent.
4. Add the seafood to the roux-vegetable mixture. Stir to mix.
5. Pour in the wine, Lea and Perrins sauce, hot sauce and water. Stir to mix. Bring to a boil.
6. Turn down the heat and let the stew simmer gently for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
7. Spoon some cooked rice in large soup plates. Sprinkle some of the the Gumbo file seasoning on top of the rice.
8. Ladle the Seafood Gumbo over the rice.
9. Enjoy by itself or with crusty bread.
Calories 1258 Calories from Fat 412
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 47 g71.7%
Saturated Fat 6.4 g31.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 131.7 mg43.9%
Sodium 3492.2 mg145.5%
Total Carbohydrates 163 g54.3%
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g15.7%
Sugars 5.2 g
Protein 44 g87.2%
Vitamin A 20.2% Vitamin C 76.3%
Calcium 15.5% Iron 55%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet