Healthy Homemade Bread
|Dry yeast||1 Teaspoon|
|Whole meal bread flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Luke warm water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Chives||5 Small (optional) (Optional)|
|Basil||8 Small (optional) (Optional)|
|Garlic||5 Small (optional) (Optional)|
1. Preheat the oven sufficiently well for baking the bread at 170 degrees centigrade.
2. In a bowl add lukewarm water, yeast and sugar(with honey if desired) and leave for about 5 minutes covering with a cloth.
3. After 5 minutes whisk with a fork and add whole meal flour slowly continuing to whisk.
4. Add egg for getting a fluffy texture in the bread.
5. With clean hands add the basil, chives and garlic and mix well.
6. Add some more flour until it is mixed into a very fine dough.
7. Knead well and keep aside.
8. Pour some oil in the bowl and place the bread dough turning over and over.
9. Cover it with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap and keep aside for about 30-40 minutes until it rises to double the volume.
10. Keep it in a warm place like an oven that is turned off or near the stove.
11. After about 45 minutes press down the dough, then cover again and leave it for 30 more minutes,
12. Once the dough has risen to double its original volume remove it.
13. Dust the work surface with flour and place the dough.
14. Work the dough with hands well on the working surface .
15. With a knife cut the dough into 8 equal halves and roll them up.
16. Tie a tiny knot with the roll.
17. Grease the baking tray with oil.
18. Take another portion of the dough and shape like a bun.
19. Take two portions, roll and twist them together in a rope fashion.
20. Place the shaped dough rolls on the baking tray and brush with egg wash (mixture of 1 egg white and 1 teaspoon water).
21. Quickly sprinkle some poppy and sesame seeds.
22. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes at 170 degrees centigrade.
23. Then remove the bread and pat on the rear side of them gently.
24. If you hear a hollow sound it means that the bread is done.
25. Serve with soup or stew over dinner or just have as a snack for breakfast or evening tea.