Scallops, Griddle Cakes and Onion Confit
|Potatoes||1⁄2 Pound, cooked and mashed|
|Ground sausage||1 Pound|
|Sesame seeds||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Benne Seeds)|
|Red onion||1 Pound, julienned|
|Red wine vinegar||2 Ounce|
|Dry red wine||2 Ounce|
|Russet potato||1⁄2 Pound|
|Potatoes||1⁄2 Pound, cooked, mashed|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Pound|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whole egg||1 Medium|
|Scallops||3⁄4 Pound (Atlantic Scallops)|
|Benne seed||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Sesame Seeds)|
|Canola oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
To make Potato and Sausage Griddlecakes:
1. Grate raw potatoes and mix with cooked mashed potatoes.
2. Add salt, pepper and flour to mixture.
3. Beat egg and add with just enough milk that will make a batter that will drop from a spoon.
4. Cook and crumble the sausage, drain and then fold into the potato mixture.
5. Heat a griddle or frying pan to medium high heat and drop by tablespoons onto it.
6. Cook over moderate heat for three to four minutes on each side.
To make Benne Crusted Scallops:
7. Season scallops with salt and pepper.
8. Place Benne seeds on a plate.
9. Pat down top and bottom side of each scallop in seeds.
10. Heat a frying pan or griddle to medium high with oil.
11. Add the coated scallops into the pan and cook for about 3-5 minutes until all sides are done.
To make Red Onion Confit:
12. In a bowl combine all ingredients except salt and pepper.
13. Cook over low heat until the mixture has the consistency of marmalade-about 30 minutes.
14. Add pepper to taste.
15. Take 2 serving plates one big and one small.
16. In the small plate place a griddle cake and in the big plate place two.
17. Spoon the onion confit on the griddle cakes.
18. Top with the cooked scallops and serve.