Winter is a good time for a tasty Virginia seafood treat. Chef John Maxwell serves up Virginia scallops and potato cakes to warm your taste buds.
1⁄2 Pound, cooked and mashed
1 Cup (16 tbs) (Benne Seeds)
1 Pound, julienned
Red wine vinegar
Dry red wine
1⁄2 Pound, cooked, mashed
All purpose flour
1 Cup (16 tbs)
3⁄4 Pound (Atlantic Scallops)
1 Cup (16 tbs) (Sesame Seeds)
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)
To make Potato and Sausage Griddlecakes:
1. Grate raw potatoes and mix with cooked mashed potatoes.
2. Add salt, pepper and flour to mixture.
3. Beat egg and add with just enough milk that will make a batter that will drop from a spoon.
4. Cook and crumble the sausage, drain and then fold into the potato mixture.
5. Heat a griddle or frying pan to medium high heat and drop by tablespoons onto it.
6. Cook over moderate heat for three to four minutes on each side.
To make Benne Crusted Scallops:
7. Season scallops with salt and pepper.
8. Place Benne seeds on a plate.
9. Pat down top and bottom side of each scallop in seeds.
10. Heat a frying pan or griddle to medium high with oil.
11. Add the coated scallops into the pan and cook for about 3-5 minutes until all sides are done.
To make Red Onion Confit:
12. In a bowl combine all ingredients except salt and pepper.
13. Cook over low heat until the mixture has the consistency of marmalade-about 30 minutes.
14. Add pepper to taste.
15. Take 2 serving plates one big and one small.
16. In the small plate place a griddle cake and in the big plate place two.
17. Spoon the onion confit on the griddle cakes.
18. Top with the cooked scallops and serve.