Country Fried Chicken
|Whole chicken||5 Pound, cut into large pieces|
|Vegetable oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For deep frying)|
|For the brine|
|Buttermilk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Kosher salt||2 Tablespoon|
|Hot sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|For the spice blend|
|Seasoned salt||1 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic powder||1 Tablespoon|
|For flour coating|
|Self raising flour||1 1⁄5 Cup (19.2 tbs)|
|Celery salt||To Taste|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
1. In a bowl combine buttermilk, hot sauce and kosher salt.
2. Place chicken in a small bowl and pour brine over chicken to completely submerge it.
3. Place in the refrigerator and marinate for 1 hour.
4. After an hour pour off the brine and rinse chicken thoroughly, shaking off excess water.
5. In a bowl mix together the spice blend ingredients.
6. Place chicken on a plate or tray and season generously.
7. In a wide mouthed dish season the flour with salt, pepper and celery salt. Taste the flour, it should taste seasoned.
8. Coat the chicken pieces in the flour and let it sit for 10 minutes until the flour absorbs some spice.
9. Recoat the chicken in flour.
10. In deep fryer or deep pan, heat oil to 325 degrees F.
11. Place chicken in hot oil and fry until golden brown and juices will run clear when done.
12. Drain on paper towels on a wire rack.
13. In a serving plate, arrange the chicken pieces and serve hot with choice of dip.
Fry dark meats together and white meats together. Cooking time will vary based on the size of the chicken and method used.
If needed keep cooked chicken in a 225 degree preheated oven to keep warm while the other batch of chicken cooks.