Super Bowl Recipe 1 - Chili Cheese Fries
|Bacon slices||4 , chop (chopped into small pieces and rendered)|
|Bacon fat||3 Tablespoon|
|Onion||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), dice|
|Green bell pepper||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), dice|
|Celery||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), dice|
|Garlic||7 Clove (35 gm), mince|
|Lean ground beef||1 Pound (20% fat or less)|
|Chipotle peppers in adobo||2 , dice|
|Tomato paste||6 Ounce|
|Diced tomatoes||14 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Kosher salt||2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||2 Teaspoon|
|Coriander||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Beef broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Russet potatoes||4 Large, wedged|
|Extra virgin olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Pepper jack cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs), grated|
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Prepare a cookie sheet covered with foil.
3. In a pot render down the bacon slices and keep the bacon bits and the bacon fat aside.
4. Dice the onions, green bell pepper, celery, mince the garlic and keep everything aside separately.
5. Halve the potatoes and cut each half into 4 wedges. Add to a large bowl filled with water to prevent browning.
6. On the cookie sheet, spread a paper towel.
7. Add washed potato wedges to the towel and dab to remove excess water.
8. Drizzle olive oil on top of the wedges. Season with salt and pepper and using hands, mix for even seasoning.
9. Place in the oven and bake it for about 20 minutes.
10. In the same pot sauté the bell peppers, celery, and onions in the bacon fat and cook for 5 minutes or until the vegetables sweat.
11. Mix in ground beef and using a spatula mix well. Mix the garlic and cook for some more time or until the meat is browned well.
12. Add salt, pepper, chili powder, oregano, corriander, Chipotle Peppers in adobo sauce , tomato paste, diced tomatoes with juice, beef broth, and water and mix well.
13. Add bacon slices and allow the mixture to simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes.
14. Arrange the baked potatoes in a plate, top with the beef mixture, garnish with coriander and grated cheese and serve hot.
Prepare the chili a day in advance.
Calories 421 Calories from Fat 223
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g39.9%
Saturated Fat 9.7 g48.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 68.7 mg22.9%
Sodium 884.7 mg36.9%
Total Carbohydrates 25 g8.4%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17.4%
Sugars 5.6 g
Protein 23 g46.1%
Vitamin A 35.7% Vitamin C 50.6%
Calcium 26.1% Iron 19.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet