Chicken, Sausage & Seafood Gumbo for Christmas! (Cooking with Carolyn)
|Chicken breast boneless skinless||1 Pound (cut into 1-inch chunks)|
|All purpose seasoning||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon (Grand Diamond)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Onions||3 Cup (48 tbs), chop|
|Celery||2 Cup (32 tbs), chop|
|Bell peppers||2 Cup (32 tbs), chop|
|Bay leaves||5 Small|
|Andouille sausage/Smoked sausage||1 Pound, slice|
|Kosher salt||2 Teaspoon|
|All purpose seasoning||1 Tablespoon|
|Cayenne chile pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Low sodium chicken stock/Seafood stock||3 Quart|
|Shrimp||1 Pound, devein|
|Crab legs||1 Pound|
|Fresh parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|Green onions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chop|
|File powder||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Cooked rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Prepare a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Cut the chicken into 1 inch chunks.
4. Chop the onion, celery, bell pepper, green onions and garlic, finely chop the parsley keep it aside until needed.
5. Clean and devein the shrimp’s tails on.
6. In a medium bowl, season the chunks of chicken with 1½ teaspoons of Grand Diamond All-Purpose Seasoning and olive oil.
7. Place the chicken on a baking sheet, spread out and roast for about 20 to 25 minutes at 425 degrees. Once done, set aside.
8. On medium heat, heat the large cast iron skillet for 5-6 minutes, pour the oil and let it heat up and then add the flour to the oil, use a wooden spoon and constantly stir for 20 minutes or until the color of the roux turns to chocolate brown.
9. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and pour the roux and then add the onions, celery, bell peppers and bay leaves and continue to stir for 4 to 5 minutes, or until softened.
10. Add the sausage, salt, 1 Tablespoon of Grand Diamond All-Purpose Seasoning and cayenne. Continue to stir for 3 to 4 minutes.
11. Add the stock. Stir until the roux mixture and stock are well combined. Add the chicken chunks, bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low.
12. Simmer the gumbo for 1 hour uncovered. Stirring occasionally.
13. Using a spoon, skim off any fat that rises to the surface.
14. Add the crab legs to the gumbo and stir. Cook for another 15 to 20 minutes.
15. Add the shrimp, stir and cook just until the shrimp turn pink lastly add the file powder.
16. Discard the bay leaves and serve in deep bowls over your favorite rice.
17. Garnish with fresh parsley and green onions.
18. Serve the gumbo along with a cup of cooked rice.