Christmas Special Tasty Cioppino
|Extra virgin olive oil||5 Tablespoon|
|White onion||1 Large, finely chopped (About 2.5 Cups)|
|Fennel bulb||1 Large, finely chopped (About 2.5 Cups)|
|Shallots||4 , finely chopped (0.50 Cup)|
|Garlic||4 Large, finely chopped (About 2 Tablespoons)|
|Crushed red pepper flakes||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Canned tomato paste||15 Ounce|
|Diced tomatoes||56 Ounce (In Juice, 2 Cans)|
|Fish stock||4 Cup (64 tbs) (Preferably Halibut Stock)|
|Dry white wine||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (Pinot Grigio Recommended)|
|Uncooked large shrimp||1 Pound, peeled, deveined and cut in halves|
|Scallops||1 Pound, cut into 1 inch chunks (Large Ones)|
|Halibut fillet||1 Pound, cut into 1- inch chucks|
|Chilean sea bass fillet/Any other firm-fleshed fish fillets that you prefer / shellfish such as mussels and clams||1 Pound, cut into 1- inch chunks|
1) Heat the olive oil in a large cast iron or other large pot over medium heat.
2) Add the onion, fennel, shallots and salt and sauté until translucent, about 10 minutes.
3) Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté another 2 minutes.
4) Add tomato paste and sauté for one minute.
5) Add tomatoes with their juices, white wine, fish stock, and bay leaves.
6) Cover and bring to a boil then simmer (partially covered) on medium heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
7) Add the shrimp, halibut, and scallops and gently stir and simmer until the fish is just cooked thru about 2-4 minutes.
8) Remove from heat and discard bay leaves.
9) Serve immediately with toasted baguette and red pepper garlic spread.
The flavor of the soup will be even better if it is simmered on low heat for up to 2 hours longer before adding the seafood. (Bring soup back to a medium simmer before adding the fish).
Onions, fennel, shallots and garlic may be chopped one day ahead and refrigerated. All fish may be cleaned, cut and refrigerated one day ahead as well.
Calories 463 Calories from Fat 128
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g21.5%
Saturated Fat 1.6 g7.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 123.8 mg41.3%
Sodium 1160.8 mg48.4%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.7%
Dietary Fiber 6.3 g25.3%
Sugars 13.8 g
Protein 48 g96.5%
Vitamin A 58.2% Vitamin C 78.2%
Calcium 13.6% Iron 20.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet